Tuesday, June 30, 2009

just start...


[axonometric; series of parallel lines; projection technique to create a drawing of an object by rotating it on an axis...in this case a landscape design. allows you to 'feel' what it might be like to be 'in' the garden]

hand drawing is possibly becoming a lost art in the world of design with the intro of auto cad computer programs. I think it also maybe something some of us take for granted, i know i did. my mind didn't easily make the leap from one dimensional corporate worker girl to tools in hand 3-d drawing very easily, and i definitely have a long way to go. i usually sat staring at the assignments a.k.a blank piece of trace or vellum for well...let's say, thank goodness the office and 30 rock run back to back. i know no t.v. while doing homework!

a few of us were offered an opportunity to take some semi private classes lead by the instructor from this class, she's an amazing landscape designer and i am so grateful to be a part of this learning process. Most interesting is she confessed to going through much of the same process, staring, internal chatter 'i can't do this, i can't think of anything'...last night she put us to the 'be loose' test.

[drawing a cross-section from plan; analyze views, vertical and hidden elements and internal structures just some of the benefits. placing people allows a person to relate to the design]

3 house styles, 30 minutes - design 3 relevant fence AND details, 10 minutes per fence. let it flow, connect the pencil to the paper then move it, don't think. i think most of us felt sick, oh my gosh why am i here, i can't do it....in the end we all came up with great designs. all different, all our own style and all of us loved it.
when i look at these assignments, i still wonder... how did i ended up doing these again? did i really draw these? where the heck would i start if i had to do them again? just starting is half the battle...the best lesson i seem to keep learning :)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

These are amazing!! You got talent, girl!! :)

Maria said...

these are fantastic, I'm so impressed.

Wren said...

Fantastic sketches!! Amazing where things come from within. If you draw it - it will come! I sketched a house floor plan, on graph paper, from a tool I purchased at Staples. Eventually took it to an architect... and it ended up being our house! You never know where your sketches will lead you...

JCharlier said...

I'm impressed too. I'm an advertising art director and I started my career pre-computer. I did marker renderings all the time and became quite adept at them as well s rendering typefaces by hand (and by eye). Now? I own two macs and I've lost all those skills. I can now draw well enough to impress my daughter, but that's about it. Keep up these skills - or lose 'em.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin