Friday, July 3, 2009

cgps

the perennials in this container have been in there for about 3 years now. the container goes in the garage in nov until late april early may. last year the japanese painted fern was huge! this year the golden bleeding heart is, the roma masterwort well, has a lot to compete with and you can just see the flowers if you look hard enough, best to click on the image to enlarge it, but the dark green leaves i think look great too.
a container renovation may be in order at the end of the summer season, which... comes with some decisions. do i put new plants in the container? only leave the painted fern in there for next year, put the others in the garden? new beds would have to be dug other plants to be moved....which made me remember a post on garden rant that i read a little while ago...'Put down the god-damned shovel and stop moving the perennials around on every whim!'...hmm. maybe i should just leave it for one more year the reason, they are doing so well is, i haven't touched them for 3 whole years.....unusual for me, not much is left alone in my garden for long. why you ask? i have cgps, chronic gardening puttering syndrome. it goes like this... 'this would look better here, against that, with that, more sun, less sun' the big one 'i just want to go look'....a garden nursery visit sets my shovel on fire with excitement, it knows, she's weak she'll buy something and have to move 3 other plants along the way.
gosh, i love that feeling of shovel in hand, thrusting it into the dirt, then inspecting that dirt which in many places now is lovely, lovely soil if i do say so myself. before the abscence of worms now the proliferation, and some good big ones too boot! see how i instantly succumb? i just went into a complete state thinking and writing about it...

yes i have cgps, i am a chronic garden putterer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing! I have a phormium Guardsman that is now in it's third home next to the mailbox, and I was just looking at it thinking it might look better in the backyard. But your post is making me realize I must. resist. temptation.

farmgirl said...

Maybe if I had a little of cgps I would at least have attacked the weeds that are threatening to obliterate everything in their vicinity...best to you!

xo MC

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog thru Black Swamp Girl. I was wondering if you cover or water your container when you put it in the garage for the winter. I live in Owen Sound and I have 3 Japanese Maples (in pots) that I am hoping to overwinter without planting them in the garden.
I ended up reading some of your old posts.
I took a garden design course at George Brown in Toronto, last year, but we were not taught 3d drawings, it makes it so much easier to visualize.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin