Friday, February 13, 2009

91 sleeps!

What is it about getting something in the mail that is not a bill or worse junk mail that delights me so much! This little delight almost surpasses the excitement I felt when I was just a kid and finally got my Tony the Tiger grow chart in the mail from all the Frosted Flakes box tops I saved!

I participated in a Garden Girl give a away and these little gems are what I received. Cymbopogon Citratus, Lemongrass, open-pollinated, heirloom seeds! Although my garden needs a complete overhaul, I had planned to add more edibles and herbs to my little urban plot this year including in the many, many containers that fill my garden every year. These seeds fit the bill perfectly, I love lemon, its a plant that I likely wouldn't have thought to grow on my own and the green grass will look spectacular swaying in the new chocolate glazed pot that was so thoughtfully given to me for Christmas! The planets clearly aligned.



Last year Scarlett Runner beans graced bamboo poles (and our plates) in the front and backyard, the bees buzzing with joy, chives were scattered through the annuals and perennials for quick snipping and mint flourished on that ant hill where nothing else would grow and tasted oh so delish in every beverage I could stuff those leaves in. The 3 pumpkin vines that were randomly planted along the back fence just grew and grew and grew weaving their way all around the backyard creating the most amazing jungle. The vines had so many big cheeky orange flowers I thought my porch would be filled with jack-o'-lanterns at Halloween, but it was all for show we ended up with not one pumpkin from that patch! A small beginning but a beginning none the
less, and boy oh boy this little seed packet has sure gotten me excited in anticipation of the garden adventure this year! How many sleeps til the last frost date...only about 91!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

ooohhhh...i'm jealous of your seed mail!!! :)

Bagman and Butler said...

I like your mix of photos and words. I love Cooleridge. I checked out your blog from its reference in Finding Sirius. I think I'll follow it for awhile, if you don't mind.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin